Thursday, August 25, 2011

Songs of the Madre

I don't know how to do much in life, but I do know what to do when I don't know what to do.

Sing.

How in the world does that make sense? It doesn't. At least, not to the one who must have their ducks perfectly in line, their 401(k)s ready and waiting, their collars ironed and their children washed behind the ears.

Songs speak differently to me (and to all you other music junkies) than those simply looking for a catchy melody on the radio to dance to. I can hear three notes and be instantly taken back to a moment in high school, swaying in my future husband's arms. Or remembering what my grandfather smelled like. Or  to being in elementary school, having the words changed to "Baby Beluga" in the school music class to taunt me.

I have made it thus far, somewhat sanely, by having an outlet: music. I can sit at the piano when I am stressed and just play for hours. The chord progressions start out melancholy, dark, distressed. They quickly progress to rapid, unrelenting, angry, tumultuous progressions, and build and build and build into....

The resolve. Finally, a joyful note breaks through. A lightening in the tone, a quickening of the fingers and a quickening of the heart. The mood of the impromptu piece changes, and so does my posture, my countenance, and finally, my attitude.

I have noticed that when I am stressed with the kids, I sing as well. Tonight, I share with you the lullabies that I sing to my to children, Micah and Levi. Each have their special songs that they settle in to, one written just for them. Micah (4 and a half) requests his when he is feeling sick or can't sleep or is scared. Levi (6 months) requests his by crying, but a mother knows when a song is needed nonetheless.

knocked out cold, sweating up a storm like his father, with his best friend snuggled up

Micah's Song
Besame mucho,
con tu nariz feliz
Besame mucho,
con tus ojos pequeños
Besame mucho,
con tu boca muy loca
Besame mucho,
mi corazon

Loosely translated, this means "Kiss me many times with your happy nose. Kiss me many times with your little eyes. Kiss me many times with your crazy mouth, Kiss me many times, my heart (or my darling). This has been his song from day one.

I cannot get over this view. So in love with my nene!

Levi's Song 
Go to sleep my baby boy, let me whisper in your ear
Go to sleep my baby boy, the night is drawing near
Go to sleep my baby boy, lay down your sweet head
And in the morning, dear, the sun will rise again

Go to sleep, go to sleep
close your eyes
go to sleep, go to sleep
the sun again will rise

This last day has been a doozy, but I know that having a familiar tune to rock to provides just as much comfort to them as it does to me. I am a mom who has a bed time routine for the kids- usually bath time for them both, a snack, brush teeth and potty time, a book, then prayers and lights out for the big one. Then it's changing the baby one last time, nursing him til his tank is full, and putting him down awake.

But sometimes, mommy needs a song just as much as they do.

No comments:

Post a Comment