Tuesday, August 31, 2010

...because I am possibly crazy....





So I must explain. I know you will probably say I am crazy, and I will probably say that down the road somewhere too, but I think we are...gulp... cloth diapering...

I know what you are thinking...the same thing thousands of other moms have thought. Disgusting. Stains. Smells. More work. Line drying. Old fashioned. Diaper pins. Leaks...the list goes on.

But let me tell you what I am thinking: Endless amounts of garbage. Chemicals that I cannot pronounce on my child's skin from birth. A huge amount of money invested, pooped on, and thrown away.

I think it's worth the extra effort to have our child's hiney in something that can last from child to child. Plus, it will save a TON in the wallet, especially if we can save them for another child. Check this out:




This is a chart from a mother made in 2003, and this is only savings for one child. After investing in the diapers, they are yours for many children to come!

Jose and I have been toying around with this idea for a few months, ever since we found out were were pregnant. The deal breaker was at Jose's work party this past Thursday, where I met two lovely women who cloth-diapered--or CD'ed, as I found out from my instructional session-- their two girls.

I have never met two nicer lesbians in my life. They have two beautiful girls, one of whom is still in diapers, one of whom is out, and they are thinking about having another- they want to try for a boy (not sure how THEY are going to try, but whatever). I saw the youngest toddling around with what I thought was a diaper cover, until I saw the telltale cloth poking out from inside...I proceeded to ask one of her mommies if she was cloth diapering, and BINGO! I got everything I ever needed to know. And then some. Like how they met. How they chose their sperm donor. Who was the mommy and who was the daddy in the relationship. How they would raise a boy. Who is the bread winner...and on and on and on...

And while I was there on the beach, watching Jose play football with Micah, one of the lesbian's daughters, and a colleague's son, I was inspired. They made the commitment to try it, and it worked out amazing for them- many dollars saved, and hineys protected.

If she (and she) can do it, than so can I.

No comments:

Post a Comment